Monday, November 9, 2009

My journey for MEET1


View My trip for MEET1 in a larger map

Here's a map on my treacherous journey through Bayview for my MEET1 story. At the end of the map I talk about Archbishop Franzo king picking me up. Here's the story about that:

King asked me to get into his car, as walking through the projects this late could pose a problem to my livelihood. He remembered I was from SF State.

"Man, if State is rolling, then I know we're doing something! You can lock me up but we got cubs in the Bushes, to quote Marcus Garvey," King said.

Also while riding, he reminded me of the legality of all of this. He told me that he actually doesn't have a license and that he shouldn't be driving.

"But we're some triple OGs. I'm just letting you know while you roll with us."

I appreciated his cordiality. While driving he asked me how I felt about Obama. I told him that I voted for change and I'm still awaiting the results of that, his credit card policies excluded.

"That's what I'm saying," he said. "I knew I wasn't the only one through with change. You hear about a black man getting harassed outside his house and then invite the cops over for beers, and then have the nerve to call Kanye West a jackass? Please."

He was referring to the Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. who had a run in with the Massachusetts Police in July.

He dropped me off and told me to have a great day.

What a day that was.

1 comment: