Wednesday, November 18, 2009

On my ride home from school yesterday I decided to stop in Noe Valley to get some ideas for a my blog. As I drove down 24th st I noticed that there was crowd on the corner of Sanchez. Excellent!
The new location of the local chain La Boulange Bakery was having it's grand opening party, and inviting the neighborhood in for free food. It was apparent that I wasn't the only person who was either hungry or curious. A crowd of almost 40 people had began to gather in front of the store and was anxiously waiting for the 4pm opening, it was 4:06. As soon as the the door began to open the crowd began to rush forward blocking the employee from being able to open the door which swung outwards. I immediately felt as if everyone was visitors to Willie Wonka's chocolate factory and instead of candy there were tables full delicious savory breads, cheeses, and desserts of all kinds. This illusion soon faded as I realized the store was completely full of people and I was being pushed and shoved so that people could get in on the deliciousness. What started out as a good thing turned really ugly as I watched people hoard multiple plates full of food leaving not much behind for others. The atmosphere in the room was very lively as the store became more crowded with people and the only way to walk move throughout the room was to shuffle.
Despite the greediness and crowdedness, the food was great! They served red, white, and sparkling wine as well as hot cider. I spoke with several people, including Yvonne Daly, who were excited that the store was opening and that they thought the food was delicious.
This it the 11th location of the Boulange in the bay area.


View Larger Map




1 comment:

  1. I never told you how much I dug this! Can I have one of those round things right now, sent virtually 3000 miles to where I'm doing grades by the wood stove? It's zero out!

    ReplyDelete