Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Weapons

If you want to put faces to some of the characters in In Cold Blood, there are some super old photos on this WebSite. There is some pretty graphic stuff in some of these shots. I think it's better that Capote describes things like the murder scenes and evidence in his style. It's way better than seeing pictures of them. He describes them so well that when you see the photo, it's sort of anticlimactic. Imagining a bloody footprint is completely different from seeing an actual photograph of one.
The purpose for them being taken was so they could be used as evidence. If the killers would have smudged their footprints or used a mop and bucket, could they have gotten away with it?
There are portraits of the Clutter family and mug shots of Hickock and Smith. I totally imagined what they all looked like while reading, and when I saw what they actually looked like I was pretty surprised. Kenyon looks like a pretty big guy. It's seems hard to understand how they were all tied up without a fight, but with a .12 gauge shotgun in your face, it's not very easy to stand up for yourself.
When I was 15 or so, one of my best friends held a knife to me and I was totally trembling. My entire body would not stop shaking no matter how hard I tried to settle down. I was just not in control and that feeling is one of the most frustrating things to deal with. If she was carrying a shotgun, I probably would have shit my pants. It's a really long story, and I'll tell you about it in person if you really want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment