Tuesday, October 27, 2009

D.I.Y. (dirtbag it yourself)



It has been a little while since I have wet my whistle at some of the bars in Noe Valley. I have been busy working on a story out in hunters point that has introduced me to some pretty...., hmm whats the right word.... something like the opposite of moms with strollers.
The article I am working on is about a competition where contestants have 30 days to build a custom motorcycle for less than $1000. It's called the DirtBag Challenge. I pitched the story to a local motorcycle magazine, and I am working Spencer Morris, a fellow SFSU journalism student, to profile some of the teams/builders in the competition. We thought that that would be a much better idea than just covering the event, plus somehow I got the "profile on a person" idea stuck in my head. Spencer and I did most of the research together and I shot portraits of each person we profiled. I have included one I liked but didn't use of Turk. This was a pretty rad project! The guys I met had a very fresh and inspirational take on life that I feel like I haven't been exposed to much lately. Well actually it was more like a 3 sheets to the wind attitude, but it really worked well, Especially for Turk. Now that guy was a character, as you can see from the photo. Turk never gave me a last name, but he said he got the nick name Turk because he "is the guy who can get you what you need, no matter what or how." Then there is Paul, or Poll which is his nickname because its how his name sounds when pronounced with his british accent. Poll is one of the founding guys for the dirtbag challenge and is seen below with the gasoline. Poll is a loud, crass, son-of-a-bitch, and I enjoyed every second of it. He is extermely charasmatic and though he started the dirtbag challenge with friends, it is pretty much his competition now, and he has done a great job of keeping it going for seven years now.

here is a link to the website, and look for the article and my photos in the upcoming Urban Moto and Xpress magazines. http://dirtbagchallenge.com/rules.htm





click on the photos to see them bigger







the map is of Poll's shop, Turk's is across the street.


View Larger Map

1 comment: