Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Hunting down the Tamale Lady


(Photo: Chronicle/Liz Hafalia)


I first introduced myself to Virginia Ramos, a.k.a. the Tamale Lady, back in August when we were assigned Streetlist1. I knew then that she was the person I wanted to do my profile on.

Naturally, I hunted her down at Zeitgeist. It was warm Friday evening and the bike racks were full. I had to wait in a line just to get in. Once inside I spotted Virginia standing in the crowd.

Virginia was extremely nice and happy to divulge her telephone numbers and address; no email, however, as she does not have a computer.

I let her know my story was not due until later in the semester and that I would be in touch.

When it came time to interview Virginia, I had a hard time contacting her on the phone. My cell phone is restricted for some reason (this took months of non-returned phone calls for me to figure out) and I had a feeling this was why Virginia was not returning my calls.

I left several messages on both her home and cell numbers, but to no avail. I decided to change my subject last minute .

The day after our draft was due, Virginia called me back. She left a message saying she had been extremely busy, but that she would like to help me. When I called back, I left another message on her home answering machine. As I was about to hang up, I heard Virginia say, "Hello?"

She told me she does not answer restricted numbers, something about people relentlessly bugging her, so she waited until she heard my message before picking up. We made plans to meet later in the week at Zeitgeist, when it was convenient for me, as she did not want me to rearrange my work schedule for her.

Speaking with Virginia in person reminds me of my grandmother. She is welcoming and honest. She answered ever question I asked without the slightest hesitation. She also made me feel comfortable, referring to me as "baby."

It is not hard to see why everyone loves her. Not only are her tamales "fabulous", as Zeitgeist security Jerry Bricker put it, but she is extremely caring, passionate and funny.

The general attitude of most Zeitgeist employees is rude, loud and pushy. In a strange way, Virginia is reminiscent of a den mother, calm and sweet to soften the harsh edges.

2 comments: