Sunday, October 18, 2009

Folsom St. Fair a Guaranteed Good Time

Today's unnecessary plug of the day is brought to you by Bear Party Magazine, because who doesn't like bears and who doesn't like parties?

I haven't been shooting for a while, and as a photographer that is a no no. To break the trend I decided to head to the Folsom St. Fair because I heard that there are a vast amount of picture opportunities. Now I have never technically been to the Folsom St. Fair but I have witnessed it one time early in my childhood. As a kid my family constantly visited my aunt in SF, and this trip my sister brought to bring her two best friends. They were probably in 8th grade, and to make a long story short my mom took a wrong turn and ended up on the street adjacent to Folsom. I still remember the reaction of the car when we witnessed two men dressed in leather start a full on make out session. Worst part...we were stuck at a red light.

I'm older now and I'm open to peoples sexuality. I entered the first barricade a sea of leather and flesh laid before me. The two main walkways were crowded with people in leather, leashes, and street cloths. It was a human gridlock. I tried to maneuver my way through the crowd I kept my eyes forward at the next intersection to change my camera lens. After the quick change I walked to a crowd of people dressed in street cloths who were watching a women being whipped. All the good spots were took up by other photographers so I turned around to walk out of the circle of people. As I turned around a I saw the most mind fucking thing ever. Just thinking about it makes it hard to write a grammatically correct sentence. A mental picture of this event will forever be ingrained in my head. I note this next sentence is not for the weak of heart..............

Standing right before me was a man standing in the power pose. No he didn't have a guitar in his hand. Instead he had his ramrod, and with his man meat in hand he played it like he was Ted Nugent. I turned looked to my right and there was a man with his iphone filming this act of chicken choking.

Although I was shaken by what I had just seen I soldiered it out and went on to take some pictures of the fair. Everything else I saw during my trip to the fair was tame. Except the sight of an older naked woman smoking a cigarette and sitting spread eagle. After a good two hours of walking In the Valley of Penises I got a couple of decent photos and a one mental image that will last me a lifetime.

2 comments:

  1. You didn't post any photos! Not that I want to see the power pose Ted Nugent guy! The time I went I saw something even more bizarre; I can't even type it but it had something to do with a can of oil. Anyhow, perhaps your more tame photos might be posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that I necessarily want to see Mr. Man Meat either, but they say you shouldn't freeze up at a little nudity if you want to be a real photojournalist. You had your camera out and didn't get the guy's pic? Oh well, next time hey?

    ReplyDelete