Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Everyone thinks murals are good


There was this dude painting a mural. I started asking him some questions and told him I was an SF State student. He said that some other SF State students had interviewed him and recorded him painting the other day. I wonder what their story was about. Either way I was trying to see if I could get some community members to give me their thoughts about the mural. Everyone that walked by would stop and examine the artist at work, tell him he's doing a good job, and keep walking. I stopped a MUNI driver walking by, asked him if he was into it, and he said, "It looks good," and it was awkward. I didn't really know what else to ask the guy. So after he left, I thought that the rest of the responses I would most likely get would be "It looks good," and "Yeah I think it's good for the community." It didn't seem likely that anybody would answer, "I think this mural sucks." So I stopped trying to get varying points of view about it.
There is one person (or maybe a few) though that paints over parts of the mural with white paint. This is the third time the muralist, Jason, has had to repaint the same section on the corner of Santa Rosa Avenue and Mission Street. The person hits the same place over and over and only paints over the Latino family in the mural.

I continued to interview the muralist and we heard this small bang like a car rear-ended someone. It was just the sound of a traffic cop's door slamming. A car behind him was trying to squeeze around. The traffic cop said, "Now watch this guy cut me off." So we watched.

1 comment:

  1. I was down there today -- sure is terrific! Have you met the woman in Precita Eyes who makes the shadow boxes of real scenes from SF? She's great!

    ReplyDelete