Thursday, October 8, 2009

Historic Event at the United Nations Plaza
Oct. 8, 2009.
Many visits to the Civic Center have caused me to develop an affinity for the United Nations Plaza. The affinity comes from the happiness, sadness, excitement, and frustration I've heard people express in their stories.
According to psychologists, people go insane to find the feeling of importance that has been denied to them in the harsh world of reality.
It's not only the homeless who refuge in the UN Plaza who are insane. Aren't we all hungry for appreciation and a feeling of importance?
I realized that criticism and judgement are our inevitable reactions to a person's feelings and world views. But understanding is more profitable and intriguing; especially in the world of journalism.
I'm grateful I've been able to chat with a diverse group of people at the plaza. It takes strong character- one I aspire- to put oneself in someone else's shoes with the intention to see the humanity, vulnerability, and fear that lives within all.
Because the event was taking place at the UN Plaza, I didn't hesitate to attend. I knew it would be worth it and intriguing.
*on a side note. sorry I didn't include pictures. my camera broke down*
I took the M to the Civic Center and set foot on the United Nations Plaza at 6:58 p.m. My black coat, pink mittens-yes, mittens, and scarf kept me warm. The night was cold and the sky was clear.
In the center of the United Nations Plaza, three rows of wooden chairs faced four microphones and two small speakers were placed on each side. The set-up was simple.
Across, the Civic Center Plaza was tented in plastic. A red carpet welcomed men in tuxedos and women in long dress-gowns. From the outside, I could hear a piano being accompanied by a cello and a violin.
A sudden boom had two police officers hastily walking toward City Hall on the corner of Larkin Street. I waited. Police Officer E. Linares said the disturbance was caused by a firecracker. I also learned from the officer that inside the plain white tents, the St. Anthony Foundation http://www.stanthonysf.org/home.html held an auction that would be followed by a fancy dinner to fundraise.
"She was only two months old and didn't even know her name,"
said Imam Suleiman Gali from the Islamic Society of San Francisco.

Leaders from different faiths read eulogies for selected individuals who have died from malaria, tuberculosis, malnutrition, and AIDS around the world. A choir-composed of 13 adults- sang beautifully. The joyous singing symbolized a celebration for liberation. Liberation of the deceased from malnourishment, poverty, and violence.
Sister Chandru Desai from the Brahma Kumaris Meditation Center said, "We are souls, not only bodies." She invited the audience to join her chant. "Feel the air and the sky," she said. "Don't be shy, let us give their souls eternal peace."
I expected a big crowd, a sea of lighted candles, large speakers, and disturbances from the homeless who hang out at the plaza. A middle-aged homeless man approached the audience and yelled, "What the fuck is going on?" Then he approached me and whispered, "My step-father died from AIDS." He asked for a candle and after that, I lost sight of him.
Before I went down stairs to the station, I stood and stared at the plaza. It's amazing to think of everything that happens in that particular stop of my neighborhood.
Mondays, vendors offer souvenirs, hand-crafted jewelry, and everything from hats, bags, and sweaters with the words San Francisco embroidered, written, or glued.
Tuesdays, soup kitchens feed the homeless.
Wednesdays and Sundays, farmers from Fresno, Bakersfield and Modesto sell fruits, vegetables, nuts, and plants.
Unfortunately, drugs, crime, and violence don't respect the time of day or the day of the week.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this lovely, thoughtful piece. Your comments on understanding are so perceptive.

    ReplyDelete