Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Every Ordinary Person Has an Extra Ordinary Story to Tell

My subject for my profile story is Seiko Fujimoto who works in a store that sells traditional Japanese products. I will not lie if I found her almost accidentally. You probably heard her story in class last time and thought how fascinating her story was. And how lucky I was to be able to find a great subject. But really… the truth behind that is I never thought she had that story in her.

Everything about Fujimoto was ordinary except of her blue hair, of course. She was the first person that I talked to in Japantown when the semester started. She was outspoken although from the outside, she may not look like that.

I spent three full days following her literally everywhere. I went to a merchant meeting with her. I hang out at her store after her lunch until it was time for her to go home. She was a really interesting person, I will say. I admit I am guilty for forgetting my role as a student journalist. I was too absorbed in her story sometimes that I forgot to write down her story. A good thing, I brought my flip camera with me so I can record her story.

I am learning from my interviews with her. I learned about Japanese culture (I even had to go to a kabuki performance so I can understand her more). I learned to never think of someone as ordinary. I learned that every person has an interesting story within him/her. I enjoyed this learning process except of one thing: I learned to ask questions I dislike.

I knew it was hurt for her to remember the deaths and the war but what kind of story can I write if I did not know the whole story? I did not think I can do her story justice if I only understand her and her story partially. I had to constantly remind myself: “Ask her, ask her. You’re here to write her story.” It was really hard for me to ask those difficult questions like: “What do you think about Japan after the war?” or “Do you want to go back to Japan despite of all that painful memories?” I was afraid at one point she would break into tears but that never happened because she's a strong woman. I knew it's silly but the one who felt like crying was me. It was hard for me to stay objective too when she was so opened and kind to me.

All in all, I think she’s a unique lady. Fujimoto is a lady with attitudes. It is hard not to have sympathy for her at all because she is so brave, wise and strong. She is a person you can admire but not to hate.

1 comment: