Monday, September 21, 2009

How About a Date?

The first person that I interviewed was a young lady who spent a lot of time in Japantown. She was sweet and answered all of my questions. After I was done interviewing her, she said maybe I should also interview the guy who worked there. I was reluctant to do the interview in front of her because some people did not feel comfortable talking in front of many people. I said to the young lady if I would like to do that but maybe later. She kept saying I should do it now though. For the sake of returning her kindness, I asked the guy if he was available to answer some questions. He said yes.


These are some of the things that I asked



Me: Why Japantown? Why do you choose to work in Japantown?
He: Hm… Can I be honest?
Me: Sure
He: There’s a lot of cute girls, here
(I blinked my eyes several times before I was finally able to continue my interview)
Me: Em… well…, okay
He: Oh… and because you go here (he said it to the young lady who sat next to me during the interview)


… the conversation continued


Me: What do you think about Japantown?
He: You know what… Japantown is actually a Korean Town
The young lady / She: What? No
(I looked at the young lady)
Me: Uh… yeah… I think it’s not like that
He: Japanese like me and my friends too only go here to work… (then, he continued to explain why he called Japantown as Korean Town)

(God, I felt bad for the young lady because she went there for the Japanese culture that Japantown may provide… I knew we should not show our bias but still I could not help it when I saw the young lady’s surprised face)


… the conversation continued


Me: Do you have any favorite place in Japantown?
He: Hm… oh… this cafĂ©
Me: But you work here. Do you have any other place?
He: … … … Oh… there’s a good ramen restaurant down in Buchanan mall. The name’s Tanpopo. We can eat ramen. Do you have anything to do tonight? (he said it to the young lady beside me again)
Me: %@&#*$ (actually, I’m speechless)
She: … … … … …

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can find weird people on the streets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That isn't awkward at all! *insert sarcasm*

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...so did they end up going out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, that's what I wanted to know ... and more about how the Japanese feel about Korean intrusion into Japantown!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Chris:

    er... well..., I had to leave for another interview but the lady stayed even after I left her alone with the guy. So... it can be yes or no.

    Maybe yes but she wanted to answer it in private or maybe no and she felt sorry for the guy so she wanted to apologize.

    What do you think? Any guess? I should have call her again and ask and see if your guess is right or not, no? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Yvonne:

    About what the Japanese feel about Korean intrusion, there's a guy who said something like:

    I don't know, it's just weird everytime we built a Japantown then Korean will come too. I'm curious actually why they're doing that... I mean Korean and Japanese used to have a bad relationship but... I mean it's not that I hate them. I'm just curious...

    That question is an explosive one in my opinion so I tend to avoid until I finished my interview. But then, I forgot to ask it... eck.... so that's the only comment I that I got -_-

    I'm curious too actually! I want to do a story on it but maybe as a final project or something :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Christine,
    Check out the YMCA on Buchanan Street. Yori Wada was a huge figure in your neighborhood and I'll bet you could find some of his protege's to talk to.
    Regards,
    Anthony

    ReplyDelete