Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Trying to report above 0.08

As requested by my teacher I went into Noe Valley trying to find contacts. I was looking for not just people to get business cards from, but people who will talk to me and want to tell me things I wouldn't think to ask. I think being comfortable with a person is a big part of that and there are a few different ways to do that such as: being similar to a person, appearing non threatening, being nice, lying to them (unethical), or just listening to them. I am sure there are plenty more but you get the point. So far the method that has worked for me is one I didn't list, getting drunk. Yep thats right, getting drunk. Some of the most sincere, unsolicited info I have received this semester was from the bartenders and regular patrons of Noe Valley's best known bars, the Dubliner and the Valley bar. Both are owned by the same person. These bars are where I find the diversity in a neighborhood normally filled with hypo-allergenic dogs and strollers. The hardest part about this is saying no. I have never been one to turn down a free drink, I believe it is rude. The bar partons of Noe Valley such as David Brennan are kind souls though, who will buy round after round. This can be good and bad. The good parts are: being drunk is fun, I talk to more people, and I get more info and leads. The bad parts are: I can't read my handwriting as well, if i leave the bar to do reporting I risk losing credibility if I wreak of booze, and I am usually over the limit to be driving home on my motorcycle. So if you have a neighbor hood with a local bar, which everyone should, check it out, but be SAFE.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, where's the photo taken? Who is it? Okay, you've covered the neighborhood drinking spots; what else have you discovered?

    ReplyDelete
  2. try bring a voice recorder next time maybe that will help (just a suggestion).

    Getting drunk as a method. That's funny.

    I think Yvonne said something about make use of what you are. I don't go to bars but I visit restaurants in my neighborhood regularly and stay there for an hour or so to keep a good relationship.

    That's an interesting story

    ReplyDelete
  3. The same technique has certainly helped me. I've heard some of the best anecdotes from bartenders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty funny stuff. Most of the people who I spoke with told me to check out the bars for sources and info, but I'm too young. Kudos for using your resources! (but be safe!)

    ReplyDelete