Monday, September 21, 2009

More Mission Adventures

Last Tuesday, I attended the rededication ceremony for Community Thrift Store on 17th and Valencia. For seating, staff members arranged couches from the furniture section into a U-shape. A dining table was centered in the middle of the couches and filled with food from Il Fornaio. The store was open during the entire event and surprised shoppers helped themselves to the free food and booze.

Before the event started, I interviewed Jake Janzen, Community Thrift’s operations manager. While talking to him, we were approached by Gary Nathan, San Francisco Tavern Guild Foundation board member and publisher of San Francisco Spectrum. Nathan introduced himself and told me about his online news magazine. He also encouraged me to put on a nametag, so everyone would know who I was; despite my reservations, I obliged.

Nathan took me under his wing and then introduced to me Steven Rascher, San Francisco Tavern Guild Foundation board member president. My interview with Rascher turned out to be an instrumental piece in my story. Once the food was brought out, Nathan told me to enjoy some, I obliged without any reservations this time.

After feasting on tomatoes and mozzarella, I grabbed a seat on a couch and waited for the event to start. A young man sat next to me, plate of food and beer in hand. Fishing for information for HOOD1, I struck up a conversation with him. He informed me that he was just coming in to get a shirt and had no idea what was going on. He then leaned over to read my nametag. I explained what I was doing there and asked him where his nametag was, to which he responded, “I am too cool for a nametag.” Burn.

Hours later, I bumped into him walking down 18th street, between Mission and Valencia. He enthusiastically asked me how things went and we chatted for a quick minute before continuing to walk in opposite directions. Despite the minor jab, I was content with the friendliness I experienced in my hood.


As I was making my way back home, I stumbled upon Sweet Ride, a mobile bakery parked on 17th and Valencia. Specializing in cupcakes and puddings, Sweet Ride offers delicious deserts out of a hot-pink 1984 postal truck. If you happen to spot the Sweet Ride, do
yourself a favor and get a cupcake. I suggest the red velvet with cream cheese frosting or the banana bread pudding.

I went back again on Saturday, this time with my mom in tow. We did a fair amount of window-shopping, talking and walking. We ventured to Balmy Alley, a block-long street filled with murals, located just past Folsom on 24th Street. We walked along 24th Street, passing by Shotwell Street, where a man was shot Friday. Sunday, a day after our visit, two men were shot at Papa Potrero’s Pizza, on 24th Street and Potrero Avenue. The three killings this weekend mark the first in the Mission this year.








2 comments:

  1. Thanks for calling me out on that.

    PS. mmm, cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Sweet Ride.
    Weird about those shootings.
    Love the Thrift Store open house party with drinks and food! and the talk with the guy who just came for a shirt, a drink and some grub.

    ReplyDelete