Monday, September 14, 2009

Praying Mantis

I've had boring jobs before, but it must be REALLY boring to be a police officer.
The other day I was walking down Mission Street and I saw a police officer doing the crane like Ralph Macchio. Three other cops were laughing at him. A few seconds later he was holding his baton to the sidewalk, trying to get a bug to crawl onto it. Then he launched the bug into the street.

So I walked over to the cops and asked, "Hey what kind of bug is that?"
And the one that was doing the crane and threw the bug into the street, Officer Tom Hauscarriague, said, "I believe that is a praying mantis. You can go and get it if you want."
But the bug is in the middle of the street, cars are driving on it really fast, and I could really care less about saving the bug's life.

I didn't really know where to take the conversation after that. The guy just told me to go play in traffic. I just started thinking out loud and it was awkward. Then I noticed that one of the officers had his hand on his holstered taser.

I had to convince these guys that I wasn't an angry citizen wanting to call the insect cops on them and I didn't want to be tased so I pulled the "I go to SF State" thing. Then I left.

2 comments: