Sunday, September 13, 2009

Setting Sail in the Mission

My first voyage to the Mission started in the foggy haze of the Outer Sunset. After a crowded ride on the N Judah, there I was standing in the sunshine on Valencia and Market.

I quickly decided the best approach to exploring my neighborhood was to dive in head first and walk the streets. Immediately I noticed the plethora of businesses: bars, restaurants, liquor stores, medical marijuana dispensaries, bookstores, bicycle shops, and the like. If nothing else, there would never be a shortage of things to do or see.

One of the first stores I popped into was Multikulti. This moderately priced store was filled with accessories and clothing, it was quite possibly one of the most random varieties of odds and ends I have ever encountered. I made a mental note to return come Halloween.

After walking down Valencia a few more blocks I cut over to Guerrero Street. What a difference one block makes! Mostly residential and speckled with a few bars and restaurants, Guerrero Street was much quieter than Valencia. Feeling a little bored, I wandered over to Mission Street.

Arguably the heart of the Mission District, bustling Mission Street was excitingly festive. I later found out that the street is the longest in the city, stretching throughout downtown. Yet, the Mission Street of the Inner Mission has a rich cultural and ethnic heritage.

Mission Street houses open-air markets, taquerias, bars and liquor stores. Less gentrified than Valencia and Guerrero, parts of Mission Street appeared older, thus more appealing to me. Perhaps it was the charm of slightly grimy street that I found intriguing, although the aromatic scent of bacon-wrapped hot dogs did not hurt. Yes, hot dogs wrapped in greasy bacon, grilled street-side and served with sautéed onions. It took all of my strength to resist, but I often think of what it might taste like, and have no doubt I will know by the end of the semester!

My first tour through my hood left me tired and, of course, hungry. With the help of people on the street, I decided to dine at Yamo, an inexpensive Burmese restaurant on 18th Street between Mission and Valencia. The place was as big as a studio apartment, with one long counter for dining, an exposed kitchen with two female cooks and a line out the door. The food was so good I ate on the street and decided to call it a day.

Walking back to Muni I hashed over the day’s events and wondered what I would do next visit. With so much happening on every street, and every block within that street, it surely won’t be hard to figure something out.

No comments:

Post a Comment